Thursday, May 2, 2013

EPIC FAIL and OMG!

Wow. I fail at blogging. I was so excited to start talking to the ether about tea and then April hit and I retreated into a cave. A tealess cave. THE HORROR!

Here are my plans, and hopefully things you will look forward to...
Homemade Chai Masala! Homemade Chai - Mama Kapadia Style! A NYC mini tea adventure - in which I make an obscene purchase on very little! More tea reviews! A San Francisco tea adventure this summer! More recipes! More shenanigans!

The Chai Masala recipe should be up very, very soon. I believe I have perfected it after a bit of trial and error, but more on that later.

From Republic of Tea
Last week I was at one of my favorite grocery stores, MOM's Organic Market, and they have a little coffee/tea stand for shoppers. Well, that day I went over to get a cup of anything really and saw they had samples of Republic of Tea's Red Velvet Cuppa Chocolate Tea. Now, I've seen this on their website and in their catalogue before and shied away from it because I am not a fan of red velvet cake. [standing on soap box] I don't understand why I would want to put a bunch of food colouring in a perfectly good cake. It doesn't make it taste any different. Maybe the original red velvet was coloured with something other than Red 40? [stepping down to sip tea] But I figured, hey I'll give it a try! And obviously I know that the red velvetyness in the tea is not the same as the cake velvetyness. This red velvet is a rooibos based tea with beetroot bits (nature's red dye!), sweet blackberry leaves, chocolate and vanilla flavoring. And it's gluten free. I made my self a little compostable cuppa, put a tiny bit of hemp milk and honey and got back to grocery shopping. Then I took a sip. And I stopped the cart. Took another sip. Then said, "OMG!", in my head I hope. Note, I did not say "OH MY GOD!" I said, "OMG!" It was that good.

Perfect bit of sweetness... almost fruity but hints of chocolate. This would make the best dessert tea! Especially because it's caffeine-free. If you're one to avoid dessert but still want that sweet treat after dinner grab this tea right up. I saved some to have Jay try when I got home. I handed him the cup and said, "TRY THIS! IT IS SO GOOD!" (imagine I said it in Agnes's voice in Despicable Me when she says IT'S SO FLUFFY! thx.) I don't really think he likes sweet teas, or heavily flavored teas, but he did like this one. I am very tempted to buy a canister of this tea to have on special occasions. Who am I kidding? Do I save anything for special occasions? Nope. Also, the tea turned red.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, you always make me smile. I am going to look for the red velvet tea, it sounds wonderful.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete