Friday, May 30, 2014

How to Make Chai Tea

Earlier this week we made the masala, or spice mixture, to make chai tea. Today we're going to make the actual tea. This procedure is a bit more involved than just boiling water and brewing tea leaves. A cousin of J's makes a good cup in the microwave so one day I'll have to have him tell me how he does it. This way of making chai takes a good 15-20 minutes, but it's so worth it.

What you need:
- a pot
- mug
- teaspoon and tablespoon
- tiny sized grater (a zester?)
- cup sized strainer
- loose black tea - J uses this brand
- chai masala
- milk - this recipe works best with real milk. I'll post the recipe for non-dairy milk later.
- fresh ginger - I keep it in the freezer and grate it in frozen 



Measure a ¾ full mug of milk and pour into the pot. Add ¾ mug water. Turn on the heat to medium high. 

Next add the masala. I like it on the spicy side but if you're new to this authentic chai business start with ¾-1 teaspoon of masala. I think I add probably 1 ½ teaspoons per serving. 
Grate in some ginger. You don't need much. 

Once you add in the masala let the mixture heat until it starts bubbling up. 

Immediately turn it down to low and add a tablespoon black tea per serving. 
Not quite.
Ready!

Let the tea simmer for about 10 minutes, until it turns a nice golden color. Turn off the heat. (And turn up the beat.) Using the cup sized strainer, slowly pour the tea into the mug. It is best to do this in the sink just in case the strainer gets clogged and tea misses the mug. 
Drink up.

Now all you have to do is add your favorite sweetener and sip the delicious spiciness that is real chai. Add only a little of the sweetener at first and taste it. Like I said, I love a spicier chai but a spoon of honey really takes the edge off. 

I was making Babycakes NYC banana bread while enjoying this fine cuppa chai. With chocolate chunks, of course. I'd love to hear your chai making experiences. If you have questions, just ask!



1 comment:

  1. I think that I can handle this! Love the pan you're using as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete