Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mama K's Chai Masala

I've been wanting to share this recipe for a long time. This is how the magic happens. Since Jay and I have been together I've been able to enjoy a cup of his mom's hot chai-- even when I wasn't approved of yet, his mom still made chai for all of us to share. There are so many chai combinations out there. Starbucks even has two now. But none of them compare to chai made from a recipe straight from the homeland. Most are way too sweet, not enough spice, not strong enough. Before she showed me how to make the masala, or spice mix, I tried various methods from whole spices to pre-blended teas. The real trick is to use ground spices directly in the milk/water mixture. This allows for the fullest flavor in my opinion. Our multicultural family loves spicy chai. My mom enjoys watching Jay make all of us a big pot of chai in the morning on our visits. Jay's mom loves being treated to chai once in a while, although she lives to feed others.
Today I share the chai masala recipe. Later this week I will fully explain the chai making process with step by step photos. (It's really not that hard, but I like a little mystery.)
Use fresh spices. Or be adventurous and grind your own in a spice grinder.

Mama K's Chai Masala
makes approximately 20 servings

4 tbls. + 1 tsp. ginger powder
4 ½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cinnamon
¾ tsp. cloves
1 tbls. cardamom

Thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Store in a sealed glass jar for maximum freshness.

And that's it!

1 comment:

  1. omg it's that easy?? That simple? Here I was expecting a HUGE list of ingredients that would go on forever. I might be able to handle this...

    ReplyDelete